Crashing on a large scene

Crayox

Crashing on a large scene

Post by Crayox »

Hi,
I have this pretty big scene with many houses and vegetation. I use MS to scatter 30mil grass objects. At first I could only use 10 and make them bigger but then I discovered a vray instancer option which enabled me to use 30 mil. Still after a few frames the scene crashes. System has 64GB of RAM. I'm using vrays conserve memory option too and I unchecked don't delete cash option. Oh and I'm already using camera optimizer too.
Any ideas what else to do?
I'm using MS 1.623
anvar

Re: Crashing on a large scene

Post by anvar »

difficult to say without seeing the file, are you able to send it?
does it happen due to amount of objects?
Crayox

Post by Crayox »

Hey...sorry, stupidly I forgot to use camera adaptation. I mean for the render from above you can't really see grass anyway. So now that I've enabled it it seems ok. Will test without camera adaptation when I receive extra RAM in a few days :)
Thx
Crayox

Post by Crayox »

Hi,
can you advice me if this is a correct approach. So like I said I have a huge scene and I would prefer to have one MS for the grass since I have one ground object. Since the area is so big I noticed I'll actually need like 70mil grass object units. It was ok with 40mil but it just crashed now so I'm not sure if it's because I put 70mil or something else. I mean if I put 70 mil it still only generates the grass units that are in cameras FOV and in its distance?
Crayox

Post by Crayox »

Just got extra 64GB of RAM and I just rendered all the frames fine. Not sure if it's only that or due to restart. So now everything seems ok. And I used 80mil grass units with FOV and distance optimizers of course. That vray instancer is awesome. Are there any updates to it since I see it's WIP? And would still like to know if my approach is correct.
THX