Multiscatters jumping position on 1st frame.

anthonyhicks

Multiscatters jumping position on 1st frame.

Post by anthonyhicks »

Hi Anvar,

I have a weird bug(?) ..
I`m doing an animation with many non-animated MultiScatters on a landscape, trees, rocks etc.

edit: I just tested and can confirm it also happens locally on just my pc, the 1st frame is different to all others regardless of which frame is 1st. 0-10, 0 is different. 2-10, 2 is different etc.

When rendering through Backburner *each* server renders their 1st frame Scatters in a different position as well, different but consistent. Once each of the servers has finished their 1st frame all servers become in sync again to the new position.
To minimise this I`ve had to render on a single server to only end up with 1 incorrect frame at the start rather many, ie. the total number of incorrect frames in relation to the number of servers.

* From what I can see the 1st frame is correct to the position of what`s in the viewport and the rest are not.

It doesn`t seem to happen on all the MultiScatters, a few stay consistent regardless. No Camera adaptation or object animation that I can see. All scatters stay consistent in the viewport. I am using a border spline on a surface if that matters ?

Any idea of what might be wrong ? Human error included !
(using MS v 1.623 with Vray 3.7)
Cheers,
anthony
anvar

Re: Multiscatters jumping position on 1st frame.

Post by anvar »

Hello Anthony
is it possible to get an example file?
anthonyhicks

Post by anthonyhicks »

Hi Anvar,

No problem.
I`ll strip it down and package it up in a bit. Might be something weird in one of my files but just in case it isn`t.

thanks
anthony
anthonyhicks

Post by anthonyhicks »

Hi Anvar,

Ok.. I think I actually got it this time. I hope.
After installing the update I had the same issue with moving geometry. *but*..I did more investigating and I think I`ve found the culprit. You`re not gonna like me though ! :(

On my landscape MS distributor surface I have a few modifiers. 2 of them are 3dsmax Displace modifiers with Noise/Cellular maps to randomise the land surface a little. At first I thought it was the Spherical Mapping on one of the modifiers but it turns out it`s not.

It`s actually on the Noise Map procedural I used in the Displace modifier. It has a weird `Color Map` Setup in the Output section, I have no idea why it`s like that though, maybe copied from another material ? (image attached below)

Turning off the Color Map it renders fine locally and through Backburner.
I don`t know why MScatter still displays correctly in the viewport or why when rendering locally it changes the Scatter position on the 1st frame and rendering through Backburner it changes the Scatter position on the 4th frame ? but it does !

So.. partly(mostly) user error. Not sure if it`s worth fixing as it`s easy enough just to collapse the geometry.
Sorry if that caused you or your team any extra work ! It should give you an idea of where to look if you ever need to check it.

thanks
Anthony
Attachments
color map.JPG
color map.JPG (57.2 KiB) Viewed 5318 times